The Museum of Sudden Disappearances

MUSEUM available as an ebook at Amazon Or, for temporal travelers, PAST IS PRESENT at Amazon.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

go with the floe

Today, after several months, I opened my blog's door again. I hit the lights and looked around. Where have I been?

The South Pole.

Think of it this way. Ernest Shackleton, early 20th century South Pole enthusiast, (allegedly) placed this 1912 expedition recruitment ad. Imagine seeing this in your favorite tabloid.



Let's make two edits. Let's change the first word, "Men," to "You are." And switch "small" to "zero." Now the ad reads:

"You are wanted for hazardous journey. Zero wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”

Presto! Shackleton, a snowshoe artist who was always "in the floe," unwittingly nailed the writer's world. Now the ad accurately describes the head-crushing experience of writing a novel.

Or here's the short version. These are the 12 words my muse coos when I begin banging out a new book. "Tighten yo' belt, ink-slinger, y'all in for a vertical-hair thrill ride."

At any rate, I just returned from the South Pole with my new novel. So, that's where I've been. I'll hit the lights on the way out.



No comments:

Post a Comment